So as you all know I love to support local and started a segment where we could share, learn and inspire! It is so important to support local and share your findings with others.
During lock down, we are going to do a whole lot of these to highlight these businesses – many of which are taking HUGE strain during this time – and shed some awareness and love to all.
Now this company, you are going to thank me for sharing with you! I mean how stunning are their pieces? I find it so difficult to find gorgeous furniture at reasonable pricing and then I discovered Huys Decor. Their products are stunning and they are happy to make your vision a reality! Not only do they make wooden and metal items, but how stunning are their upholstered seating options?
Tell us a little bit about your business.
– I have always been quite a creative. I initially studied hairdressing straight after school, which eventually gave me the opportunity to work on the ships as a hairstylist, for a contract, whereof I returned and went through a total career change, after I noticed that the passion I had for beauty was diluted with the the unappreciation the industry provided (personal opinion, wink wink)
I then stepped into the finance world, which is totally yin and yang of course. And have been in the industry for 5 year now. Which was not what I ever thought I found myself in. However, which I am now very grateful for, as it provided me with the foundation to be able to run a business which has been a dream for a long time.
With addition to my creative mind, I have also had a huge passion for design, mainly interior and decor, however I never thought of it as something to pursue, but more as a hobby. I’ve always known that I would like to be my own boss lady one day, and have something to call my own, but never knew exactly what.
After me and my partner had moved into a new place last year May, I had once again rediscovered how much I love interior and decor after the excitement of making our space look beautiful, however also realizing how expensive furniture actually is.
And that’s where the dream started – to have my own decor business, and have a space where I can offer interior fanatics like myself, beautiful items that are affordable and not bank the bank.
But at that time it was merely a dream and a lot of factors and fears prevented me from just doing it.
2020 came and my main bucket list item was to start my business, and after a year of planning and trying to navigate what it will be, I finally stepped on fears head and just did it. I started my Instagram Page in March 2020, with launch day to be the 15th of April – and then Covid and lockdown hit. Which I initially thought, well that’s it, what is the -use. But we still proceeded to start advertising our items and open pre orders (because what do we have to lose, might as well get our stuff and brand out here, while everyone is isolated in their homes and probably be on there social media constantly).
And my surprise, orders started coming in – and we have not looked back since. We are really blessed, especially in this time, where there are people losing their jobs and going through a terrible time. We are still tiny but we are getting there.
Also Huys Decor comes from my surname which is van Huyssteen ( which I am very chuffed with the word play still to this day!)
What are the top 3 learnings you have had to find out the hard way since starting your own business?
– That it is great to have your own business and all, but it does get tough and the obstacles are inevitable, even if it’s only a side hustle. To sometimes stay on top of everything is a challenge
– If there is a problem, just fix it. Whatever the issue, try your best not to dwell on it but fix it, make a plan and learn from it
– Ask for help when things get too much – it does not make you inferior.
Where do you see your business in 5 years? Once we have gotten over the effects of the lock down.
Currently we are only online (Instagram and Facebook) which has worked great for us. But long term we would love to have a studio where our products will be available (as items are only made to order) and also to start Huys Interiors on day. And just take over the interior world!
What is your advice to individuals out there wanting to start their own businesses but are too scared?
Just do it!!! With a clear plan and a firm idea of what your brand is and want to represent. Social media is a wonder, but you have to know your audience and what appeals to the market. With good management, good service and good products you can’t go wrong.
Tell us 2 things that are the BEST part about owning your own business and make it all worth while?
– Seeing your items in clients homes and how beautiful it ties in and how happy they are, is definitely the most rewarding thing ever. Also the praise of our good service, which we strive for.
– Just the pride and self validation of knowing you build this and seeing the growth and the prospects of where it can go. It is really special.
How has lock down affected you, your business and your team?
I won’t lie. We are terribly blessed. Yes there are challenges that come with the lockdown. But as a sideline business and being in the position to have it grow through this time is very humbling. I acknowledge that there are a lot of businesses not experiencing the same, and it breaks my heart and sometimes I can’t help to feel a bit guilty. But in the same breath I am VERY proud that I have built something that has flourished during a time like this, which makes me very hopeful for what the future after lock down ends.