So I opened up the Woolworths TASTE magazine and saw this recipe. Truth be told.. I was very skeptical.. I mean who took chickpeas out of their tin and said hey, lets beat this brine up and see what happens?
That being said, I am now a true believer! It works like a charm, and the meringues are REALLY good! Having been brought up with my mom making us (amazing) meringues all the time, I am a huge fan. And these were so good, you can barely taste the difference.
So FYI, so you know the lingo, the brine in the chickpeas is called AQUAFABA – sounds so fancy!
So here is the recipe:
- Preheat the oven to 120 degrees Celsius.
- Drain the aquafaba from 1 tin of 340g chickpeas into a bowl.
- Beat the aquafaba using an electric beater/handmixer.
- Beat until the mixture makes soft white peaks.
- Then slowly add 200g castor sugar while still beating.
- Then spoon the mixture out into rounds onto a baking tray, covered with baking paper.
- Bake for an hour or until crispy.
- Allow to cool.
- EAT EAT EAT!